Subject: Re: [boost] Preliminary submission: generic linear algebra algorithmslibrary Boost LA
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-10-20 14:31:49

Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> Boost multi_array is relevant as it is trivial to define matrix_traits
> specialization that allows (Boost) LA to treat it as a matrix.

You lost me again. What do you mean by "trivial"? How should I be able to treat an n-dimensional multi_array of variable size (where n is a template parameter, hence static) as a matrix of static size (where a matrix is a sort of 2-dimensional multi_array)?

I didn't saw the "static size" before Marcus Lindblom's answer to my initial question. I think "LA" or "Linear Algebra" is simply the wrong name for a static size matrix library, but names will only become important later. What would be more important would be to improve the description of what the library "wants to be", i.e. its intended scope.

> (However the overloads that kick in automatically for 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4
> matrices are efficient.)

I agree for 2x2 and 3x3, but the overload for 4x4 is probably already problematic.

Regards,
Thomas