Subject: [boost] Official warnings policy?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-04 12:22:24

I'm *not* saying we should do this for 1.41, but should we have an official
policy regarding compiler warnings and which ones we regard as "failures"?

I realize these can get pretty busy-body at times, but if the user sees
several pages of warnings when building Boost it doesn't look so good. So
my suggestion would be that we have two test-runners (if we have any spare!)
that build with warnings-as-errors, maybe:

-Wall -pedantic -Wstrict-aliasing -fstrict-aliasing -Werror

For gcc and:

/W3 /WX

for MSVC?

Obviously these may prove to be far too busy-body, but is this worth a try?

Cheers, John.