Subject: Re: [boost] [msm] scalability
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-25 05:08:04

> a library that I plan to submit to boost causes > 50 s compile times even for simple examples,
> so do you have any recommendations on where to start?

There is a template profiler from Steven Watanabe, you could start there:
http://www.boost-consulting.com/vault/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=profile_templates.zip&directory=Tools&

> my library invokes a lot of Boost.Serialization and some MPL/fusion code,
> so I'm not even sure if I can do anything about that within my library.

As you use some MPL, you should check all your algorithms for
complexity (especially if you use many mpl::fold). A quadratic
complexity in a metaprogram will hurt you pretty fast.
I had the feeling that SFINAE also hurts you quite much on some compilers.

HTH,
Christophe