Subject: Re: [boost] Review Queue Needs Attention
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-11-25 05:21:58

Behalf Of
> Daniel James
> Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:00 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Review Queue Needs Attention
>
> Paul A. Bristow said
>
> >> (And a state not damned with faint praise like 'unstable' - which is
perhaps
> >> better described as 'likely_to_be_improved' rather than actively 'not
stable').

> The apache incubator might be a more appropriate inspiration than Debian
unstable.

I like 'incubator' :-)

Hartmut Kaiser wrote

> What's the difference between a non-stable branch as you're suggesting and the
existing sandbox?
> The only difference I could see is to establish some kind of pre-review
process.

Sandbox is vital for authors to develop code *jointly* - but for a long time it
may not be fit for public consumption.

OK, that will take some admin, but much less than a full review because it's not
such a long-term commitment that a full review involves. It's pretty obvious if
something is worth giving wider exposure. Competing libraries can happily
compete ;-)

(It would also take some admin to agree that some 'bad egg' libraries might be
*removed* from the incubator - but that should be much less contentious too -
author 'missing in action', no maintenance, no docs, no users, no progress...).

> But that would just move the problem to a different spot, no?

OK It doesn't solve the review problem, but stuff that comes up for review
should be in a finished (polished even) state - unlike too many of the things
that come up for review. It should be easy to say 'not ready yet' to projects
that lack documentation, user base, adequate testing etc without the risk of the
authors giving up.

As I see it, people are reluctant to put in the considerable amount of
'polishing' work to 'Boost Quality' unless they are reasonably confident that it
will prove worth the effort. Incubating will build that confidence.

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse