Subject: Re: [boost] boost_extension
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-07 15:06:46

Christian Henning wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> my motivation is to have all extension in one place where it would be
> easy for people to find extensions and also easy to add new
> extensions. Extensions can very small code pieces and reviewing them
> might only take a few hours.
>
> Ideally we should be able to just add extensions into boost. But
> reality shows us that's no an easy process. For instance, my extension
> is sitting in th review loop for months now with no end in sight.
>
> Having our own project might accelerate things and hopefully will
> create momentum for new extensions. We basically would copy and paste
> boost without having to deal with boost's overhead.

Hi Christian,

While I fully recognize the problem of new libraries acception into
Boost (I'm in the same boat as you) I don't quite understand how the
proposed boost_extension would be different from Boost itself. I mean,
on what basis can we claim that boost_extension reviews will be more
active and frequent than what we have in Boost? Consider also that Boost
is a well recognized library with a wide community already, while
boost_extension will be a new beginning.

Another point of concern for me is the release cycle of boost_extension.
You mentioned earlier that this project is intended to be hosted on
SourceForge. If I'm not mistaken, this means that we will have to set up
a testing facility independently from Boost. This will also require
quite an amount of additional arrangements to be done, such as a web
interface with testing results, release scripts, etc.

IMHO, such a project has a better chance to start if it uses current
Boost facilities, at least at first. Perhaps, restructuring sandbox and
periodical testing and releasing it as a separate package might be a
good start.