Subject: Re: [boost] boost_extension
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-12-10 07:21:57

Hi Christian,

A late reply on this:

>> If the problem is that the Boost review process is broken, let's try to fix
>> that, not bypass it. If the process is broken, we should fix it for all
>> types of contribution - small or large, extension or new library.
>>

> Don't know about broken. Boost just accepted two more libraries in the
> past two months, or so. My problem is that I cannot find a review
> manager. boost::gil's maintainer, incl. me, are not available.

and this:

> Adding new code to accepted libraries would mean going through boost's review process.
>

> > Not if the extensions are accepted by the library's maintainer.
>

> Mhmm, I'm trying with Lubomir to keep gil up to date. Does that mean,
> I could add my new gil::io to gil without a review?
>
> My preference is still a review, though.

Indeed, often a review is what is prefered. For Boost.Geometry (GGL)
extensions we proposed the fast track review process
(http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html#Fast-Track). This fast
track process is less "heavy" than the normal process, and there is
(AFAIU) no Review Manager involved (the Review Wizard is involved though).

I don't know how often fast track reviews are done, but to us it seems
well suited for library extensions.

Regards, Barend