Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost 1.41: list_of] Boost compliation error, > Sun Studio 11 using standard C++ lib
From: Stefan Teleman (stefan.teleman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-03 15:44:47

I do not intend to start a flamewar, but the post below contains
numerous factually wrong, incomplete, misleading and uninformed
statements.

It is of great disservice to provide erroneous information, and that
specific topic. Not only it confuses the original question, but it
also diminishes the value of the mailing list.

I also realise that this is a Boost mailing list, and it is not a Sun
compiler complaints list.

I will correct the following false assertions:

- Apache Standard C++ Library 4.2.1 [ libstdcxx ] is already included
and available in Solaris/Nevada. Sun Studio 12 provides support for
the Apache Library.

How do I know that libstdcxx is available in Solaris/Nevada ? Because
I put it there.

It is, therefore, not true, that Sun has not given any indication
about the availability of the Apache Library: it is already available.

- Sun does not have to wait until C++0x is ratified in order to
provide libstdcxx, simply because libstdcxx does not yet support
C++0x. There may exist, in the future, an implementation of the
Apache Standard C++ Library, providing C++0x. It does not yet exist.

- It is already known that the C++ ABI will break for C++0x.

- GCCFSS has nothing to do with C++, or, for that matter, with C, or
with std::locale. GCCFSS is simply a compiler backend optimizer for
the SPARC ISA exclusively.

- The stlport4 library available on Solaris has nothing to do with
GCC. It is only provided for, and supported with, Sun Studio. GCC
provides its own implementation of the Standard C++ Library, namely
libstdc++. The implementation of the GNU Standard C++ Library has
nothing to do with either GCCFSS, or with the Solaris-provided
stlport4 library.

Thank you for your time.

--Stefan

------