Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost 1.41: list_of] Boost compliation error, > Sun Studio 11 using standard C++ lib
From: Rob Riggs (rob_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-01-03 20:12:43

Please do not top post.

On 01/03/2010 01:44 PM, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 15:12, Rob Riggs<rob_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> C++ on Solaris is a bit of a lost cause at the moment. The near-term route
>> that we have decided to take is to abandon Sun Studio altogether and focus
>> on porting to GCC on Solaris using the GCC package from Blastwave. I
>> encourage others to consider doing the same.
>>
>> [Lots of text elided for brevity.]
>>
> the post ... contains
> numerous factually wrong, incomplete, misleading and uninformed
> statements.

Stefan, I believe my post is quite well informed. And your reply seems
to be intended to confuse the issue by discussing the state of affairs
of OpenSolaris. My statements do not apply to Nevada. My statements
apply to Solaris 10. This is the platform most Solaris developers
target in production environments.

You are using the same tactics that Sun sales staff use to pitch their
operating system capabilities -- by pointing to features that exist only
in a development version of the operating system and speak as if that
were what people use on a daily basis. It is disingenuous at best.

I notice you did not post this from your sun.com account. Do you still
speak for Sun?

Stefan, I have followed your work on PSARC/2008/549 and am very
encouraged by the work you are doing. But it is also from the public
discussions that leave many of us questioning the status of this work.
The fact is this has not made it into Solaris proper yet and there has
been no public indication that I can find as to when it will make it
into Solaris. 12 years after c++98 and 7 years after c++03 was ratified
and the only compiler shipped by Sun that supports these standards is
GCC. What is going to happen with c++1x?

> It is of great disservice to provide erroneous information, and that
> specific topic. Not only it confuses the original question, but it
> also diminishes the value of the mailing list.

There is nothing erroneous in my post. The purpose of my post was to
aid fellow Solaris developers by providing some of my hard-won
experience on this platform. I do not see anything that confuses the
topic beyond what is admittedly a confusing state of affairs for C++ on
Solaris. You are the one intentionally confusing the issue here.

> - Sun does not have to wait until C++0x is ratified in order to
> provide libstdcxx, simply because libstdcxx does not yet support
> C++0x. There may exist, in the future, an implementation of the
> Apache Standard C++ Library, providing C++0x. It does not yet exist.

Sun's history with libCstd and with STLport implies that they would
rather live with a non-standard C++ environment than break the ABI
again. That this does not address c++1x is clealy pointed our in the
PSARC opinion paper. I am unfamiliar with Sun's internal workings. But
my understanding is that libstdcxx is going into the next Solaris
version to provide c++03 compliance and that another version will need
to be approved to support c++1x. That sucks for us C++ developers. It
will be like libCstd and stlport4 all over again.

> - GCCFSS has nothing to do with C++, or, for that matter, with C, or
> with std::locale. GCCFSS is simply a compiler backend optimizer for
> the SPARC ISA exclusively.

GCCFSS is relevant to this discussion as it is the only full-featured
and standards-compliant C++ compiler that supports locales readily
available on Solaris 10.
> Thank you for your time.
>
> --Stefan

Our decision to switch from Sun Studio to GCC was an economic one. The
compiler that provides the most economic gain for us wins. In today's
market, for software that impact our business, the value to us of open
source software that compiles with GCC (and that does not compile with
Sun Studio) dwarfs the value of commercially available software packages
that require Sun Studio. That is true today and the economics are not
likely to ever swing back in favor of Sun Studio.

Regards,

Rob