Subject: Re: [boost] [logo] Boost logo variants for use in unofficial or unreleased boost documentation - was C++ Networking Library Release 0.5
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-02 13:02:08

Behalf Of
> Thomas Klimpel
> Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 4:30 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [logo] Boost logo variants for use in unofficial or
unreleased boost
> documentation - was C++ Networking Library Release 0.5
>
> Patrick Horgan wrote:
> > So, that would leave the USING/POWERED BY pair, the PROPOSED FOR, and
> > the regular boost icon which already exists and isn't part of this
> > discussion. That's my 7 3/4 cents.
>
> +1
>
> (As a consequence, in my case the logo in the quickbook generated doc would
then link to
> the "powered by boost" logo. I guess that is essentially also what you were
arguing for, i.e.
> that not yet proposed or rejected libraries should use one of the
USING/POWERED BY
> pair.)

I'm confused - I understood that the idea of the "Powered by Boost" was for
third party software to announce that they were (proudly we hope) *using* Boost
software in their software.

So if you are developing something that you hope will become part of Boost, you
*don't* use this - you need a "Developing for" or "Proposed for " logo - I think
the latter should only be used if in the review queue.

I think that getting some plugs is an excellent idea.

(especially if it is the 'big boys' like Adobe, Apple, even the Mighty Microsoft
!)

They really should give credit where it is due (and it should help restrain
their IP lawyers from later claiming patent rights).

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse