Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for new variants of the Boost logo.
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-09 05:28:30

Behalf Of
> Patrick Horgan
> Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 9:56 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for new variants of the Boost logo.
>
> edouard_at_[hidden] wrote:
> > Well. You just want to have some sort of approval process. I guess you
> > just don't want the "powered by boost" logo floating around and being
> > pasted on just any software. That's branding. I'm not sure how I can help
> > you with it, but if you think I can just tell me how...
> >
> There's really no way to control it short of legal action. I'm in favor
> of the W3C model, where they provide their logos such as the W3C CSS or
> the W3C XHTML1.1 freely. It's why I think the "POWERED BY" logo needs
> to be provided separately and prominently on the web site. It actually
> helps fight brand dilution, because it gives people something to use
> other than the official boost icon.

Yes - agree completely - and since Boost is pretty much a legal non-entity with
no money at all, we have no control whatever - except perhaps copyright (which
we should claim by embedding into the logo png, just as we do for all code and
docs).

Paul

PS svg versions will be useful for preparing pdf versions of docs - png don't
seem to render as well with RenderX, the preferred tool. This can easily be
done with Inkscape I believe.