Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for new variants of the Boost logo.
From: Patrick Horgan (phorgan1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-09 16:27:02

Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> PS svg versions will be useful for preparing pdf versions of docs - png don't
> seem to render as well with RenderX, the preferred tool. This can easily be
> done with Inkscape I believe.

I don't know what you mean by, "This can easily be done with Inkscape I
believe."

I know one issue with mis-rendering of bitmap graphics in pdfs is using
an inappropriate pixel width image. If it has to be expanded by RenderX
you'll get bad jaggies and if it needs to be scales smaller, you'll get
aliasing issues. From the svg you can generate the same pixel width
that the pdf will use. (It can be calculated if you know the right
stuff, or trial and error will do as well.)

Of course you can just use the svg since it scales without those sorts
of problems. You need to open the svg file in an editor, such as
inkscape, and turn on the visibility of the layer with the added text
desired, and turn off the visibility of the others, since all of them
are combined in one svg. Similarly, you need to turn on the visibility
of either a clear (alpha) background, or a white background. The alpha
background exists (even though you don't see it), to make the image the
same size as with the white background. They're each rectangles.

If you want, you don't even need a svg editor, since svg is an xml
file. You can find the appropriate layers with vi or emacs and change
the first style after the label that names the background or text to
either display:none, to hide, or display:inline, to show.

The label of the pertinent layers are "Powered By" (not the text itself,
I just chose a layer label that reminded you of the layer's purpose),
"Proposed For" (which I think is going away), and "For Use With".

The label of the layers for the alternate backgrounds are "Alpha
Background", and "White Background".

Patrick