Subject: Re: [boost] Guidelines on wiki
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-17 06:39:08

Behalf Of
> Robert Ramey
> Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:54 PM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] Guidelines on wiki
>
> Daniel James wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've copied the guidelines onto the wiki now, you can see them at:
> >
> > https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/Guidelines/
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> It's a little unclear whether this kind of stuff should be in the wiki
> or the regular website. I find the website hard to update and often
> hard to navigate. So I like the wiki. But then, I'm a tiny bit concerned
> that given the ease of editing the wiki, it might tend to expand
> "all over the place". It's the classic tension between a dynamic
> system driven by independent agents all improving a system
> simultaneously vs. a tightly controlled effort to make the definitive
> "perfect" system.
>
> Thinking about about, I think the former is a better model as I
> believe it will better model boost itself in the future. So you might
> want to expand your horizons a little to consider how the wiki
> might include a lot more of the information which is currently on
> the web site.

Agree that the wiki looks the best way forward.

Editing is *much* easier - by anyone - but also vulnerable to instability and
hacking?

Can we copy a snapshot of the wiki to the (definitely read-only) Boost site with
every release?

I'm also concerned at the difficulty of finding the answers to questions.

(The lists are proof that we haven't cracked this - some of the same queries
come up again and again).

I've not found Google's indexing to work too well with my questions (often when
I know that the answer is there somewhere).

Searching the wiki pages is faster and often more effective (because you've
narrowed the searchable stuff - assuming you have the right 'page').

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse