Subject: Re: [boost] review system in place is extremely slow? (was Re: [rfc] rcpp)
From: Michael Fawcett (michael.fawcett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-02-24 12:10:28

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Paul A. Bristow
<pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

I think Mathias has come to the same conclusion that you arrived at a
while ago, Paul. I remember hearing your ideas a few months before
and then again when the logo discussion came up. Both of you are on
to something IMHO.

If I may add another suggestion:

A candidate library should have its own webpage on the boost site,
where people can Rate it and leave a review, just like a product page
at an online store (e.g. Amazon). Any library that reaches N number
of reviews is now ready to be reviewed for official status as a Boost
library. I think Robert Ramey also proposed something similar.

> But those who manage the sandbox and trunk, and testing, might regard it as too
> much work?

Setting up the web backends for all of this sounds like a lot of work,
but the end result is that there is no longer a review manager
required until N number of reviews have been received. At that point,
a few review managers might read over the reviews and make the
decision as to whether to promote the library or not, or maybe that
means it goes to formal review.

If there was a graph on the website showing how many cycles you have
donated to testing, it might encourage more people to set up old boxes
as testing resources. I know I have an older box just sitting in
storage doing nothing and I just recycled 2 other ones - how many
other people are like that?

--Michael Fawcett