Subject: Re: [boost] [SoC] Summer of Code Project Ideas
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-09 12:44:17

On 03/09/2010 12:26 PM, Rene Rivera wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>>
>> Now that you mention it, reimplementing test results reporting would
>> be an
>> excellent project.
>
> Once upon a time.. I started with step 0 of that. By having bjam be
> able to output XML of the build results. With the hope of someone
> taking that XML and processing it into some test reporting tools. Not
> necessarily rewriting the existing one, but using some externally
> available ones. Unfortunately the reporting capabilities of existing
> tools doesn't approach the utility of results we currently get (even
> if we get them at a high cost).
>
> But some integration of the bjam XML output with other web test report
> tools as a GSoC would be great!

I still believe it would be better for boost if such logic would be
out-sourced into externally developed and maintained code.
I once offered to help to use QMTest for all the testing harness,
including data collection and reporting. But my point here is not to
promote my own tools, but rather to encourage boost developers to focus
on what (IMO) matters: the boost libraries, not the harnesses that are
used to develop and build them.

     Stefan