Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Review attempt
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-11 03:28:05

OvermindDL1 wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Roland Bock <rbock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> Andrey Semashev wrote:

>>> If it does offer better compile times, I'm willing to try. I just haven't
>>> had any real experience with Spirit 2.x before. The patch would be much
>>> appreciated. :)
>> There's a page with migration hints:
>>
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/spirit/doc/html/spirit/notes/porting_from_spirit_1_8_x.html
>>
>> I assume that the Spirit experts will be able to re-write that code with
>> ease.
>
> Why yes, yes we can. :)
> I did not know you were using a rather ancient version, I would have
> rewritten that already if I knew you were using Spirit at all. I have
> not been paying too much attention to all this review process, so if
> you can give me the SVN link to the latest version, I can rewrite the
> Spirit code to use the *much* faster Spirit2.1, it will both compile
> and execute faster, and I can submit a patch. I am craving doing some
> programming. Been *so* busy with stuff recently that I have not been
> able to do much, other then moving in to my new place I actually have
> some free time again so I can do this.

Regarding the use of Spirit within Boost.Log: If I get it right,
spirit::karma supposed to be extremely fast in serializing. In another
thread I read that one of the performance issues is the serialization of
DateTime (http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2010/03/162905.php).

Would it make sense to use karma here to speed things up?

Regards,

Roland