Subject: Re: [boost] Boost, Decoupled and Accelerated
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-18 11:10:22

David Abrahams wrote:
> At Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:46:35 +0100,
> Roland Bock wrote:
>> Not sure how much time I can offer, but I'd like to contribute to
>> testing on Linux. At my company, we have some hundred modules (mostly
>> libraries and plugins) with a nice amount of dependencies. Our current
>> build system is based on CMake.
>
> Then you should feel right at home :-)
>
>> I'd be interested in seeing how the two systems compare, and (maybe)
>> offering one or two suggestions, too...
>
> I'll be putting out a call for testers as soon as we have something
> ready. Your suggestions will be welcome.
>
>> A question from a user and occasional contributor to the overflowing bug
>> tracker, hoping that you can provide an answer without compromising the
>> dramatics for BoostCon :-)
>>
>> How could decentralization influence the overflowing bug tracker?
>
> A very good question. The most obvious thing is that projects could
> all choose their own issue tracking systems, so nobody needs to be
> bogged down by the slowness of a single Trac instance or tied to the
> current stagnation of the Trac development effort.

Hmm. At this point, what sounded cool earlier, now becomes a bit
frightening. Where do you intend the decentralization to stop?

If we are going to follow that path, the next logical step would be that
each project could have its own mailing list (which some of them have
anyway).

I must admit, I wouldn't be much of a fan of that. I am on far too many
mailing lists already. And the central mailing list is nice because so
many stimulating ideas are passing through. Also, sometimes I wonder: is
there a boost library that could help me with problem XY? I send a
question to the central list and usually get an answer, soon. Without a
central list, where would I send such a question?

Will anything remain centralized? For instance review management?