Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-23 21:22:11

On 03/23/2010 09:11 PM, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> I'd be curious to know more about what your talking about. Do you have a
> link or something that could illustrate a C++ graphics library that uses
> boost style functors and other modern C++ techniques.

I was mentioning GPU-acceleration, but not in the context of "graphics
library", but rather HPC code (specifically, signal- and image
processing: Sourcery VSIPL++ (http://www.codesourcery.com/vsiplplusplus/)

It uses expression templates heavily, and makes use of metaprogramming,
for example to determine optimal implementations for operations,
depending on data types, size, and alignment.

An example of a domain where C++ can outperform the equivalent C API is
where it can fuse expression evaluation, something that is much harder
to do in C, where the compiler doesn't have the luxury of a strong type
system, and thus can't quite as easily optimize away temporaries, or do
compile-time dispatching.

     Stefan