Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 16:24:48

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> Those of us that started out learning C++ before ever learning C, have had
> to do lots of backfilling.
>
> By learning C, what I mean is getting really good at pointer manipulations
> and managing memory yourself.
>
> C++ encourages all sorts of programming practices that I wish I never
> learned and have never been very useful to me as a programmer.

Such as?

> Sorry to say, but as a graphics programer, C++ is practically useless. Its
> all C.

Oh, cool so I am paid to do a lot of useless work. Nice.
I do a lot of graphics programming (medical imaging), and have never
encountered any C here (and most libs in the field are written in pure
and reasonably modern c++), unless you count interfacing with OpenGL,
which in my experience is also greatly helped by using C++ techniques
like using RAII wrappers.

 From my perspective I never see mixed C/C++ projects, rather C++ and
Lua or Python.

> Because boost only meets the needs of C++ developers, it will continue to
> loose relevance.
>
> I'm just saying what people are thinking.

... in your particular environment.

Regards

Fabio