Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 18:59:34

Tom Brinkman wrote:
> If you read the whole thread,
I have, ...

> which I dont suggest,
... why not, I quite enjoyed it. (I have some strange taste sometimes :) )

>I clarified my
> comments. I said hardware accelerated graphics coding is done in
> assembly and some C.

Which is where I don't quite agree. A former coworker of mine wrote a
(academically oriented) lib which loaded of the work to either gpu or
cpu (compile time choice) with the same code (which looked simmilar to
boost.ublas). The performance was au-par with cuda or handwritten shader
code, and that without using any too sophisticated optimisations.

Of course there was some assembly and some c code (OpenGL calls) in the
back end.

I think in mid term libs like that will aleviate the need to stoop to
the lower hells (just kidding) of c code.

> Of course, you can do graphics programming in any language including
> Lua. Wrappers have been created over the years for every higher level
> graphics language.

Thats not what I meant.

Regards

Fabio