Subject: Re: [boost] Low discrepancy sequences (Boost.Random)
From: Steven Watanabe (watanabesj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-30 18:22:32

AMDG

Justinas V. D. wrote:
> The interface has settled down and it even looks fine, i.e., I am
> finally happy with it. Many thanks to you, your comments were
> enormously useful. The last version is uploaded to Vault. (No doxygen
> comments yet.)

* You don't need to #include <iostream> (I know the
   current Boost.Random headers do this, but istream and ostream
   are enough.)
* It might be clearer if you encoded the primitive polynomials in hex
   instead of decimal.
* Is there any hope that the algorithm would work with a 64 bit integer
type?
   I noticed that you're using uint_fast64_t in places, and that makes me
   wonder whether you're assuming a 32-bit integer type, even though it's
   templated.

>> Would you be willing to write documentation for this as well?
> I have written the concept part.

* The link that says quasi-random number generator should not
    point to the Pseudo-Random number Generator section. (i.e.
    don't use the prng template)
* Is it necessarily correct for QuasiRandomNumberGenerator
   to be a refinement of PseudoRandomNumberGenerator?
   For example, the new standard requires several
   specific seed overloads, which don't make sense for
   a QuasiRandomNumberGenerator.
* I don't like having two ways to get the same information, i.e.
    dim and dimension. This is probably a dumb question, but,
    does the dimension of a quasi-random number generator need
    to be provided? The number of dimensions of equidistribution
    is also a property of PRNGs, but they don't explicitly provide it.
* Can you define "low-discrepency sequence" when you use it?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe