Subject: Re: [boost] Let's use stack exchange!
From: Gennadiy Rozental (rogeeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-15 15:49:12

Scott McMurray <me22.ca+boost <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 15 April 2010 14:20, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In addition it should help us with review managers issues. We can use
> > "reputation" based system to qualify potential managers.
> >

> Ignoring the advantages or disadvantages of the stack overflow system
> for questions and discussion, I think using it to qualify review
> managers is a terrible idea. Joel of all people should know that
> systems like that always get gamed.
> <http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/08/09.html>

My position is that almost any system can be gamed with some effort. We should
just reply on some "intrinsic nature of boosters" which will prevent something
like this to happened.

> You "win" on Stack Overflow by refreshing like mad and putting in the
> barest of answers as quickly as possible to get "first post", then
> editing just enough to make it acceptable so others don't look at it
> since it already has an accepted answer. I doubt that system will
> find the kind of people we want as arbiters of the contents of Boost.

a) It might be possible to tweak the system a bit for our purposes (I hope)
b) If you know answers to all the question and willing to spend all the time
answering on them it is indeed some indication of both your level of expertise
and dedication to boost in general ;)

Gennadiy