Subject: [boost] Serialization - files networks messages threads and UTF
From: Scott Woods (scott.suzuki_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-19 19:47:45

Hi Boost,

I have been working on a serialization solution for a few years. It started
out with
fundamentally different goals to most other offerings. Most obviously it
tackles
file and network serialization as one, delivering full network messaging out
of the
box. It also delivers runtime-selectable encodings. But to get a full
picture of what
it's about, feel free to poke around in the software at;

http://groups.google.co.nz/group/pact-serialization/web

This library is being used as the basis for further products but there is
also the possibility
that it might be useful in a standalone way. Technically I would be happy to
initiate a Boost review
process but realistically I think the library is too big and it overlaps
functionally with several
existing Boost components including; serialization, asio, MPI, any, uuid,
statechart, thread,
timer and variant.

The underlying concepts for this merging of software technologies comes from
two sources;

* SDL (http://www.sdl-forum.org/SDL/index.htm)
* Active Objects (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/Act-Obj.pdf)

Perhaps there is value in the way that the different technologies work
together? Or maybe
there is value in the approach to serialization that can be added to Boost?

Strangely, after mention of lofty topics such as SDL and AO, the only real
contender for
a Boost submission would appear to be the UTF facillity within the library.

So - is there any interest in a Boost UTF component?

Cheers,
Scott