Subject: Re: [boost] [any] boost::get style accessors
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-30 07:21:54

vicente.botet wrote:
> From: "Stewart, Robert" <Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]>
> >
> > +1 for having a common approach to extracting such values.
> > boost::get<> is consistent with tuples, not just variant, so
> > I think it is the right interface. any_cast is, of course,
> > highly specific.
>
> Well, tuples don't have the type as parameter, but the index
> or a tag.

Of course, but one still reaches for "boost::get<" to access the value with the suggested change, rather than something different for Boost.Any.

> In addition tuples don't need exceptions as the access is
> checked at compile time. Even if the name is the same and the
> intentions is quite close, although different, the interface
> is clearly different, so there is no advange other than using
> the same name, i.e. no possibility for generic code using both.

There is an advantage, but not as much as between Boost.Variant and Boost.Any.

> >> Could you please elaborate on your thoughts?
> >
> > I suppose that Vicente meant that this would be a breaking
> > change that he'd like to avoid, which is understandable. I
> > don't think maintaining both interfaces and explaining why
> > both exist is onerous, so that might be the best course.
>
> What a meant is that if any_cast is deprecated it is not
> worth to try to assocaite bag_get and bad_any_cast in any way.

Yes, if you're willing to deprecate any_cast, then bad_any_cast can go with it.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]