Subject: Re: [boost] 1.43.0 range_ex
From: Neal Becker (ndbecker2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-06 07:05:10

Neil Groves wrote:

> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Before 1.43.0, range_ex had boost::make_reversed_range. In 1.43.0, it
>> seems
>> to have been renamed to boost::adaptors::reverse.
>>
>> This is unfortunate, as there is also a
>> boost::reverse function that means something different.
>>
>> The change was in response to review feedback. There were a large number
>> of
> people that strongly believe that make_XXX_range was too long and the
> distinction was unnecessary. I pushed back quite hard with the same
> rationale as you just provided, but actually I think the feedback was
> good. I have been using the new version with the shorter name and it the
> source code reads better. I typically do rng | adaptors::reversed. The
> boost::adaptors::reverse(rng) seems pretty clear too.
>
> I hope this change doesn't upset anyone too much. I have tried hard to
> respond constructively to the naming arguments.
>
> Regards,
> Neil Groves

I'm not using using. I just find this situation a bit confusing.
I think it's not obvious that boost::reverse has something to do with range,
nor what boost::adaptors is. IMO, putting all of this in boost::range
namespace would make it more obvious where to find out what these do.
Consider the naive reader of my code.