Subject: Re: [boost] A Remedy for the Review Manager Starvation
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-15 13:07:42

Strong disagreement - we need to make it *easier* to meet Boost Quality (and yet improve quality too).

The main improvement should come from more eyes viewing the code - isn't that the strength of Open Source?

To achieve this we need a way to get more 'candidate code' in real-life use by more people for a much longer period of
time.

Then more people are in a position to make an informed review (we are shorter of *reviewers* as much as review
managers).

And it should make it easier to find people willing to be review managers - they need to feel comfortable that they know
a reasonable amount about the library.

Robert Ramey's suggestions would help achieve this.

(Sadly I was not able enjoy his bombastic delivery by attending BoostCon - distance, cost, time, Welcome from Homeland
Security ... ;-)

So I believe we most need a 'Boost Candidates' section with a much lower bar to entry, but with regular testing, and
Trac.

Paul

PS We also need easier systems for uniform documentation - an important part of Quality is good documentation.

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal, UK   LA8 8AB