Subject: Re: [boost] A Remedy for the Review Manager Starvation
From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-16 02:35:33

Hi Paul,

2010/5/15 Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]>:
> [...]

I don't intended my proposal to be in competition to the incubator
ideas of yours and others that has also been presented by Robert Ramey
at boostcon. I think both approaches can be helpful. The incubator
approach helps to get more projects into an "active and attractive"
state and to make it more easy to gather feedback about them.

The RMA proposal helps to bring more momentum to the state where
polished libraries want to achieve membership in the core boost
colletion and to distribute the work to more and more motivated hands.

> The main improvement should come from more eyes viewing the code - isn't that the strength of Open Source?

unfortunately I am afraid more lurking eyes won't make much of a
difference. In the end some form of action is required, e.g. feedback,
voting, reviewing. To facilitate this would surely be great.

> To achieve this we need a way to get more 'candidate code' in real-life use by more people for a much longer period of
> time.
>
> Then more people are in a position to make an informed review (we are shorter of *reviewers* as much as review
> managers).
>
> And it should make it easier to find people willing to be review managers - they need to feel comfortable that they know
> a reasonable amount about the library.
>
> Robert Ramey's suggestions would help achieve this.

I support many of Roberts and your ideas. But at least some of them
seem to require a reasonable amout of work.

Cheers,
Joachim