Subject: Re: [boost] BoostCon 2011 Dates and Hotel Discount (this week only!)
From: Nelson, Erik - 2 (erik.l.nelson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-18 17:35:17

David Abrahams wrote:

> 2. Because BoostCon has been an excellent regular customer, the Aspen
> Meadows is offering a $20/night discount for any Boost participant who

Kudos to all the hard-working folks who make BoostCon possible... I didn't make it this year, but hope to make 2011.

$20 off per night is a pretty good savings, and I'll grant you that the venue is spectacular, even with the savings The Meadows is $170 per night. That's by far the highest-priced lodging that I stay in during the year, enough so that last time I went it got flagged by the travel auditors at the company I worked for at the time.

Aspen is also inconvenient to get to... there are very few direct flights and Aspen inevitably commands a ticket premium over a major hub like LA or Chicago.

There's a mini-rationale at http://www.boostcon.com/about/faq#why-aspen, and I'm not suggesting any change for 2011, but I've been to other small C++ conferences like "The C++ Seminar" that worked very well in modest hotels.

Anyway, I'm just curious what people think about Aspen or alternatives for a BoostCon venue.

If this isn't the right list to post this on, let me know and I'll post it somewhere else.

Erik