Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Lassi Tuura (lat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-20 15:38:36
> Oh BTW, these were the easy / trivial ones, i.e. non-templates. Re full symbol lists please see my other message. I could get them if you want, but it will take some time as I am about to go off on some travel.
Some quick examples for templates:
- boost::intrusive_ptr<T>::~intrusive_ptr(), at least 15 kB in numerous instances, I guess includes dtor cost for T in some cases.
- boost::detail::sp_counted_impl_p<T>::~sp_counted_impl_p(), at least 10kB total in lots of 15-byte functions.
- boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<T> >::~clone_impl() and "non-virtual thunk to", also at least 20kB via hundred+ small bits (max about 100 bytes each).
- boost::shared_ptr<T>::operator=(boost::shared_ptr<T> const&) also at least 10kB.
- typeinfo and vtable for boost::detail::sp_counted_impl_p<T> tens of kilobytes (50 or more).
That's just a quick sampler. Any more thorough stats will have to be weeks from now.
Boost list run by bdawes at acm.org, gregod at cs.rpi.edu, cpdaniel at pacbell.net, john at johnmaddock.co.uk