Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in creating new CORBA IDL to C++ mapping?
From: Cliff Green (cliffg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-14 12:23:38

> "Johnny Willemsen" <jwillemsen_at_[hidden]>:
> We are talking with various users of TAO to see if we can create a new
> modern IDL to C++ mapping. The idea is to drop all old compilers which
> lead to the current mapping and make a new IDL to C++ mapping that is
> using the latest draft C++0x standard.
>
> We want to use full STL, shared_ptr, r-value, and everything else we could
> need. The idea is to prototype this first in TAO and than see if on the
> long term we can propose a new IDL to C++ V2 mapping to the OMG

This would be very welcome and something I've hoped would happen for a long
time (I keep checking the OMG web site for efforts in this area, but keep
being disappointed).

I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can (and as time allows). I've used
ACE for many years and TAO for a couple of years on a couple of work
projects, but my Corba knowledge is fairly limited (and I don't know any of
the internals and protocol details, yet).

I would guess that a nice IDL to C++ mapping could be done with C++03 and
TR1 , sprinkled in with some Boost libraries (that hopefully could / should
be standardized, e.g. boost::any), and maybe a few C++0x features that
really simplify things. Are there C++0x features that are "must haves"?
(Lambdas, auto, decltype? I would think move semantics / r-value operations
are mostly optimizations, but maybe I'm missing something major.)

Cliff