Subject: Re: [boost] [gsoc] Pointer Plus Bits Behavior and Interface
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-16 07:22:59

Scott McMurray wrote:
> On 15 July 2010 21:00, Andrew Sutton
> <andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I would think that the point of creating this particular data type
> > (pointer_plus_bits) was to emphasize the pointer aspect and
> > less so the "pair".
>
> I think that's a point-of-view difference. When I heard of it, I
> immediately thought of "compressed pair with non-empty things".

Emphasizing the tuple aspect may be useful. The generalized bitfield_tuple is a reasonable building block, but if one of the elements is a pointer, it seems a name with "pointer" in it would be better. For that, just reversing the terms might do well. I also suggested, elsewhere, that "bits" be replaced with "data," "values," or something like that. Therefore, consider these combinations:

   data_and_pointer
   data_plus_pointer
   data_with_pointer
   values_and_pointer
   values_plus_pointer
   values_with_pointer

"data" is shorter, so I favor it over "values." "data_and_pointer" lends itself to an acronym, "DAP," which might prove useful.

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]