Subject: [boost] New name of bjam.exe
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 04:45:07

Boosters,

I am sure that most of you got accustomed to typing "bjam" in console whenever you
want to build things. This name is old, and derives from a tool named "jam", which
is even older (around for maybe 20 years). However, this name is probably no longer
good.

First, having a single project be identified by both "Boost.Build" and "bjam" names
proves inconveninent from "marketing" and conveninence standpoints, to the point where
many users try to read documentation for Boost.Jam, don't find anything there, and
become upset.

Second, users get the idea that Boost.Build is somehow related to "Classic Jam", which
is not true.

For those reasons, Rene and I have decided that "bjam.exe" should go. We're thinking
about naming the executable simply "build.exe", since no other build tool bothered to
take it.

Does anybody have comments, or better suggestions?

Thanks,
Volodya