Subject: Re: [boost] boost::bind result type
From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-07-20 11:42:46

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Daniel Walker
<daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM, David Sankel <camior_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Daniel Walker <
> daniel.j.walker_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> of
> >> To my knowledge there is no general way to declare the return type of
> >> boost::bind (or a Boost Lambda expression). In C++03 the best we can
> >> do is boost::function, which can store arbitrary function objects
> >> without having to know the type.
> >
> > Thanks Daniel. I have found a way do, somewhat awkwardly, what I want in
> > C++03 so I'll give my solution below.
>
> But this is not a generic solution. It is a very specific solution
> that relies on internal types and implementation details of
> boost::bind. It may not work for all releases of boost::bind and may
> not work with other bind implementations.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant by awkward. Is it possible, and if so
how, to make a generic solution? The main problem I see is bind taking a
type argument in some cases. Could boost.bind be modified to expose a result
type? I haven't seen any reasons yet for bind not including this really
useful feature.

David

--
David Sankel