Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Colin Caughie (c.caughie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 02:29:41

The thing that would make such a library hugely useful to organizations such as ours would be if it could be adopted incrementally by developers who already have a large GUI codebase. For example we are unfortunate enough to have to maintain a very large MFC application. We can't afford to rewrite the whole thing using something else, but if we had a nice GUI library that could use MFC as a back-end, it might be a lot easier to add new features to the GUI.

The tools it could provide might include:

- a way to map MFC messages to signals (if such a thing is even possible)
- helper classes for auto-arranging controls in a dialog (which would of course be generic enough that you could use them to auto-arrange pretty much anything)
- an action system like the one in Qt

The idea would be not so much to replace MFC, Qt, wxWidgets, et al, but instead to provide a kind of unified API and helper library that supplements them.

Of course even that's not an easy task...

Colin

Latest News at: http://www.indigovision.com/news2010.php