Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-02 00:31:31

Edward Diener wrote:

>> I don't know if there's enough space for this. There are a plenty of
>> GUIs Framework,
>> like Qt or wxWindows, which are more advanced.
>
> wxWindows is horrendous as a modern C++ GUI library. It uses C++ as it
> was used some 15 to 20 years ago and makes endless excuses about why its
> dialect of C++ must never be upgraded centered around support for
> hopelessly non-compliant C++ compilers.
>
> Qt is a proprietary framework, also not using modern C++ but its own
> in-house ideas instead, which have long ago been superceded by modern
> C++ constructs such as in Boost libraries.

It's not clear whether those "modern C++ constructs" bring much practical
advantage.

> Furthermore one can not
> create commercial applications with it without either releasing the
> source code or paying Trolltech, or whoever owns them now, some large
> amount of money.

This is not true. You can use Qt for all kind of projects, including
commercial closed-source, without paying a dime. It's under LGPL on all
platforms, and "L" matters -- it means you are only prevented from
making local modifications to Qt and distributing modified version.

- Volodya