Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-05 20:15:47

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Can you give me a real world example where you need the "capturing" phase
> for any reason other than a hack for some other design problem? I just can't
> think of any.
> Thank you.
>
>> http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/event_handling_as3_03.html

- Global Shortcuts (like in Visual Studio)
- Macro recording, both the start/stop shortcuts, and the recording of inputs
- Automation
- hacks
- unknowns

For a framework, hacks and unknowns are valid reasons. The reason I
detest MFC is because it was inflexible beyond anything more than they
had planned for. ie standard UIs were easy, anything else was near
impossible.

I know that any framework that did child first ended up needing a
parent-first hack, and anything that was parent-first needed
child-first sometimes. Unfortunately I can't remember the particular
reasons, but it seemed to always happen.

I do agree that events should go to the child first almost always.
It's those other cases that I'm concerned about.

Tony