Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts for a GUI (Primitives) Library
From: Gwenio (urulokiurae_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-09-06 16:07:43

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've taken a look at the libraries mentioned in this thread. My comments:
>
> - main/WinMain/whatever (notus, omgui):
> The library shall not implement the main() for me. I may want to use it as
> sub-library in my library. To eliminate the need of writing #ifdefed main
> in
> standalone apps, it's better to use a MACRO that expands to the correct
> entry function.
>
> - Static event handling tables (omgui, gtkmm):
> This is "what you don't use you don't pay for" issue. In most cases I don't
> need to do dynamic handler connect/disconnect. So, if there are N copies of
> my custom-omega-super-control with M event handlers, I want the memory
> footprint be O(N+M), not O(NM).
>
> - Model/View (omgui, gtkmm):
> As Tony already noted: "Ask the model, not the view". A checkbox with
> isChecked() function is wrong. Actually both these libraries implement
> multi-platform interface to low-level primitives. They don't simplify gui
> development. Really, I don't see how they are better than e.g. wxWidgets.
> They all (including wxWidgets and Qt) just mimic OS interface in a portable
> way and add a bit sugar to object oriented event handling.

I agree nothing should be done regarding the entry point.

Yes, it is more effecient to associate the object with an event handler,
rather than having one event handler per object.

For this initial stage, I am sticking to the "multi-platform interface".
Higher level stuff will come later, if a design can be agreed to.