Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Formal Review of Proposed Boost.RatioLibrary IS UNDERWAY
From: viboes (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-11 16:44:50

Tan, Tom (Shanghai) wrote:

> [...]

I'll see if we can add it to cstdint.hpp. Waiting for that I will rename the
macro.

> - I would expect the comments are better cleaned up and the style
> unified. Right now, //, //-, //~, /**/ are all used, which seems
> confusing. I personally like the style adopted in boost.asio.

I don't see any major problem with that, but I'll try to be more uniform.

>>> - What is your evaluation of the documentation?
> - In the tutorial section, it'll be great if more examples are appended
> so that one example for each supported arithmetic and comparison
> operations, considering boost.ratio is a small one, doing so won't
> explode the tutorial section but gives a more complete picture of the
> lib.

You are right, these are no documented on the tutorial. Even if its use is
simple, I will try to find an example that show the utility.

> (Can anyone please let me know whether ratio is short for rational or a
> complete word itself? It seems either is OK, though I still wonder)

Ratio comes from Latin and means proportion (the word exists in some
language like English or French as such). Rational is a number.

>> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have
any problems?

Yes, indirectly through using boost.chrono, which is based on
boost.ratio.
VC10 on Windows 7,
GCC4.4 w/ mingwin on widows 7.
GCC4.4 on Ubuntu 10.4
No problem with the latest version from boost sandbox.
>> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
reading? In-depth study?

I did have some in-depth reading of previous versions of the code &
documentation while I was started using boost.chrono, though not line by
line.
I also did a deep reading of C++ Standards Committee's current Working
Paper (n2661in order to understand the why and how of ratio class then.
While doing this review, I had a thorough reading of the code and
documentation, which costs about half a day (including expressing my
comments in English).

>> - Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?
Yes.

Thanks Tom,
Vicente