Subject: Re: [boost] construe_cast, call for interest and feedback
From: Marsh Ray (marsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-11 17:08:59

On 10/11/2010 01:23 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:

> I think the important question is the following:
>
> Do we care about C++ locales support in lexical_cast?

Not I. If I could get std::string and std::stream without locales, I'd
use them. (Even better might be an STL without allocators, but that's a
different question.)

> Are people fine scrapping lexical_cast and have construe_cast take its
> name?

I'm not a heavy user of lexical_cast, but want to echo the concern about
a potential increase in build times.

I attempted a small project with Spirit once and the compile time was
noticeable. While it was acceptable for a translation unit producing a
high-tech parser, I wouldn't want that overhead creeping into everything
through some seemingly innocuous string conversion functions.

- Marsh