Subject: Re: [boost] spirt status?
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-27 23:06:45

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Michael Caisse
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 10/27/2010 09:46 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:
>>
>> Moving the new spirit/qi to xml_iarchive to a branch won't help
>> because the difficultities are only showing up on the test matrix
>> machines.
>>

> Hi Robert -
>
> While branches are not helpful for the testing phase in themselves, they are
> a great tool for managing various independent changes to a library. If the
> xml changes were in a branch they could be easily applied and removed and
> re-applied to the trunk at any time.

+1

This is so much easier in Git too, but I don't want to bring that into
the discussion (which I just did, heh :P).

> I'm constantly amazed at the lack of branches in general for boost
> development. They are trivial to create and make 'cherry-picking' changes
> very easy. Considering how we (as a community) try to use the trunk as a
> stable testing ground, the judicious application of branches seems the only
> sensible way to develop.

Actually, in subversion, branches are painful. Especially in a large
repo/project like Boost.

Maybe that's why branches aren't so popular.

Just my speculation though. ;)

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com