Subject: Re: [boost] [1.45] Where are we in the release process?
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-10-29 14:59:40

Eric Niebler wrote:

> On 10/29/2010 5:03 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>> I'm asking because someone's just assigned a Boost.Interval issue to me:
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4799#comment:1
>>
>> Seems like there is a trivial fix in Trunk, but as the library appears
>> not to have been maintained for while, it looks like none of the patches
>> that some folks have applied to Trunk have been merged to release :-(
>>
>> On a related note, I believe there are quite a few old and unmerged
>> changes to the Utility lib as well.
>
> According to the schedule Beman sent around earlier, we are now only
> taking showstopper fixes. Beman?
>
>> We really need to figure out a better way of dealing with this...
>
> It currently requires a lot of discipline from each developer to make
> sure every change they apply to trunk also ends up in release. I wonder
> if commits to trunk to schedule a nag mail to be sent to the submitter a
> week later that says, "Did you check the tests? Did you merge to
> release?" Or open a track ticket that says, "merge changelist xxx to
> release."

I guess it's better to nag the maintainer of a library, given that
merging just once is a sensible strategy.

On which note -- do we have up-to-date list of maintainers? Or,
do we know the maintainer of libs/maintainers.txt? It appears to
contain entries where a different person is know to maintain that
library recently, or where the listed maintainer is known to be MIA,
or have officially declared he's not maintaining that library.

- Volodya