Subject: Re: [boost] [trac] Website performance, and disabling the code browser?
From: Michael Caisse (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 18:07:05

On 11/28/2010 2:30 PM, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Artyom<artyomtnk_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I don't think trac is slow because of database, it is just
>> slow it is written in Python and it is very slow.
>>
> I don't think the discussion was about Trac being slow. The point was
> that "Database Lock" errors happen pretty often now.
>
>> It is quite big misconception that DB is bottle neck.
>>
>> If some searches are slow you may need indexes switching DB would not help.
>> but other then that, Sqlite3 is VERY fast and I don't think.
>>
> Sorry, but SQLite is not fast enough if you have multiple processes
> trying to perform the same query on the same database. The reason is
> because of the database locking mechanism that the SQLite library
> enforces on the database file.

Dean -

Thanks for debunking Artyom's notions. I can attest from a python
project I'm in the middle of right now that the sqlite performance is
abysmal except in the simple cases. With the postgresql back end it runs
"speedy fast".

Rene / Dean -

If there is something I can do to help migrate to a different backend
just let me know.

michael

--
Michael Caisse