Subject: Re: [boost] Library for configuration file parsing
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-28 17:54:07

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Marsh Ray <marsh_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 02:21 PM, Hal Finkel wrote:
>>
>> Regardless, even parse_config_file will often be more appropriate than
>> using an embedded scripting language.
>
> What I would really like is a clean and simple JSON library.

At the risk of sounding PR'ish...

> Last time I looked around (a year or two ago) it seemed like there were a
> lot of 50-80% side projects, none of which gave me the warm fuzzies about
> being tested and maintained. Many would parse but not generate, or vice
> versa. The DOM v SAX architectural decisions seem relevant too.

It's actually on the list of things for me to do on cpp-netlib for 0.9
-- I'm working on cleaning up the internals of the library, and then
preparing to do higher level utilities that will make web application
or web service (REST+JSON) development with C++ easier.

One of the things that I will be working on is a simple, robust, and
type-safe way for doing JSON parsing/generation using Boost.Spirit.

I'm positive there's already an example of how to do it with
Boost.Spirit's Qi/Karma and I'm almost sure that I'll start with
those. The idea with the utility library is that it will be usable in
many different contexts -- and I'm actually prioritizing the parsing
of HTTP requests that have JSON payload in PUT/POST requests.

Of course that's just work waiting to be done -- if you have specific
use cases in mind aside from just (simple) configuration file parsing,
I'd definitely appreciate guidance/thoughts on what you would look for
in a JSON parsing/generation library.

HTH

--
Dean Michael Berris