Subject: Re: [boost] Sandbox cleanup
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-29 15:10:57

On 11/29/2010 12:44 PM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> [...]

I do not have a rationale but the structure appears correct to me and
not "quite dotty" <g>, but a valid attempt to emulate a Boost distribution.

In that rcommended structure under each library in the sandbox there is
a 'boost' directory, equivalent to the 'boost' directory in a Boost
distribution tree, and a 'libs' directory, equivalent to a 'libs'
directory in a Boost distribution tree. All the end-user has to do, for
a given sandbox library, is copy ( or move ) everything below a given
library's top directory to the root of a Boost distribution tree if
he/she wants to integrate it in with a particular Boost distribution (
most usually the latest Boost distribution in the SVN trunk ), and
everything for that sandbox library should work as is. Actually since
the sandbox is distributed under SVN, the proper thing to do if moving
it below an SVN Boost trunk distribution, as I have since learned, is an
SVN export, rather than a physical copy or move, for each of the 'boost'
and 'libs' subdirectories so as not to replace the .svn files in a Boost
trunk distribution.

At the same time, with the proper jam files for a sandbox library, as
shown by Daniel James; 'example' sandbox library, one should also be
able to use the library as is wherever one originally puts it, by
specifying a Boost distribution using the 'bjam' option of
'--boost=path/to/boost/distribution' when executing a sandbox jam file
for building, testing, or docs.