Subject: Re: [boost] [Bug Sprint] Final report for the (late 2010) Bug Sprint
From: Vicente Botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-07 10:52:11

Marshall Clow-2 wrote:

> Well, the bug sprint is over. [ But that doesn't mean you have to stop
> fixing bugs if you don't want to! ]
>
> So - what did people think went well during the bug sprint?
> What went poorly?
> What can we do better next time (assuming that there is a next time)?

Hi,

I hope there will be a next time. I find we need this kind of sprints to
decrease the number of tickets.

As, most of the participants can not commit the changes, in the next Bug
sprint, I would track in the daily reports the number of Patches. IMO a good
measure of a good/bad Bug sprint should be the number of open Bugs, not the
number of open tickets. In particular I will not count the Support, Task or
Feature Requests tickets as they are not associated to a bad behavior of the
libraries.

I purpose now that we request the authors/maintainers to manage with the
~100 patches that are "ready" on the Trac. If the author/maintainer
considers that the patch is not valid or incomplete I purpose that them move
it to Bug or Feature request with a clear explanation of what is missing. In
this way the Patches tickets will account for the tickets that the author
maintainer should merge as soon as possible.

I would say also that Bugs associated to toolsets that are not run neither
on the trunk nor the release branches, should not be considered as Bugs, as
the library has not been tested with this toolset in a regular base. People
wanting support for a toolset should ensure by himself that this toolset
belongs to the testing toolsets for the trunk or the release branches.

In addition to the Bug Sprint I would like we start an open activity that
would add more regression tests. People could propose test patches under
another ticket category (why not Test). It is clear to me that a better
coverage of the Boost libraries should increase its quality.

Let me know what do you think of these points.

Best,
Vicente