Subject: Re: [boost] Formal Review of IO and Toolbox extensions to Boost.GIL starts TOMORROW
From: Andreas Pokorny (andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-08 15:43:34

Hi,

2010/12/7 Domagoj Saric <dsaritz_at_[hidden]>:

> [...]
>
> IMO the easiest way to handle the setjmp/longjmp issues for those that have
> to use the LibJPEG and/or LibPNG backends would be to simply skip the xjmp
> functions altogether and throw proper C++ exceptions from the error
> handlers...This might require (re)building the backend lib (and possibly
> linking statically) with C++ exceptions enabled on some platforms but this
> might prove to be easier in the end/long run...

I think we should get rid of those backends entirely. Phil stated
interesting use cases in a different thread, that might not be
accomplished with these libraries. Additionally to that I made bad
experiences with libpng and non broken but somehow not conformant png
images.

There are alternatives to using libpng and libjpeg:
* LodePNG: http://members.gamedev.net/lode/projects/LodePNG/
* STB_Image http://nothings.org/stb_image.c

I havent used the stb jpeg loader, but I switched to lodepng for the
non-gil code.

Regards,
Andreas Pokorny