Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Locale (was Re: [SQL-Connectivity] Is Boost interested in CppDB?)
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-14 20:36:34

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Mathias Gaunard
<mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 14/12/2010 15:53, Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>
>> +1 -- if there was a library that did easy conversion from
>> std::wstring (usually the default in Windows now) to proper UTF-8
>> encoded std::string in Boost that would be *awesome*. I can totally
>> use that library in cpp-netlib too. ;)
>
> My library can do that kind of conversion with arbitrary ranges, and
> possibly lazily as it is being iterated.

Cool.

> Artyom's library can probably do it too, but only eagerly and with
> contiguous memory segments.

I'll have to admit I haven't looked -- if that were true that would be a shame.

> My Unicode library would be in the review queue if people had manifested
> sufficient interest, but I was quite disappointed to see none last time I
> asked for comments.
> I did send a submission to boostcon 2011 about it though, to present its
> approach to Unicode and discuss it.

I might have been in hibernation at that time as I missed it -- but
consider this message an expression of interest in a *sane* and
*generic* string encoding/decoding/representation library that may
support not only UTF-8 but other Unicode encoding schemes
(UTF-16,UTF-32).

Pointers to code+documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Boost.Locale getting reviewed soon would be a good thing.
Unfortunately I'm just too busy (and inexperienced) to be a review
manager for *any* of the libraries in the queue.

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com