Subject: Re: [boost] namespace boost?
From: Andreas Masur (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-18 18:06:43

On Jan 18, 2011, at 4:29 PM, Robert Kawulak wrote:

>> From: Barend Gehrels
>> The library name is normally (but not always) singular, e.g.
>> Boost.Tuple, which is IMO more logical than Boost.Tuples. The folder
>> name equals the library name. The library often contains a class named
>> as the library, e.g. tuple, and the namespace therefore or for other
>> reasons is something different, here tuples, so this requirement is
>> difficult to meet.
>
> Even I am not convinced to the idea myself, but here it is: in cases like Boost.Tuple call the folder 'tuple_lib' and the namespace
> 'boost::tuple_lib'. This fixes the problem with ambiguous names and looks not worse than 'tuples'.

While I like the basic discussion about moving away from naming the namespace as the plural form of the class, I have always been for clarity and naming things after wthat they represent.

So...why not call the folder 'tuple' (as it is the name of the library), the class 'tuple' and the namespace 'tuple_nmsp'. The names would be perfectly clear, no clashes in regards to singular/plural and in addition, you clearly can identify the namespace and the class...which can be confusing from time to time with the whole tuple/tuples thing otherwise....at least it is for me... ;)

Just my (outside) $0.02 worth...

Ciao, Andreas