Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 10:34:02

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:13:04 +0100, Matus Chochlik wrote:

>> I do not believe that UTF-8 is the way to go. In fact I know it is not,
>> except perhaps for the very near future for some programmers ( Linux
>> advocates ).
>
> :-) Just for the record, I'm not a Linux advocate any more then I'm
> a Windows advocate. I use both .. I'm writing this on a windows machine.
> What I would like is the whole encoding madness/dysfunction (including
> but not limited to the dual TCHAR/whateverchar-based interfaces) to stop.
> Everywhere.

Even if I bought the UTF-8ed-Boost idea, what would we do about the STL
implementation on Windows which expects local-codepage narrow strings? Are
we hoping MS etc. change these to match? Because otherwise we'll be
converting between narrow encodings for the rest of eternity.

Alex

--
Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)