Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Matus Chochlik (chochlik_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 10:44:29

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:13:04 +0100, Matus Chochlik wrote:
>
> Even if I bought the UTF-8ed-Boost idea, what would we do about the STL
> implementation on Windows which expects local-codepage narrow strings?  Are
> we hoping MS etc. change these to match?  Because otherwise we'll be
> converting between narrow encodings for the rest of eternity.

Actually this is the biggest problem I see with the whole transition
and it also concerns other systems. But AFAIK POSIX OSes
are moving to utf-8 so Windows the only one where this
is a real issue.

But is it possible that Windows does the same thing that
POSIX did ? Some time ago on unix sk_SK locale came
with the ISO-8859-2 encoding. Since the the default became
sk_SK.UTF-8 with UTF-8 encoding. Is there any major
obstracle that would prevent Microsoft from doing this ?