Subject: Re: [boost] [general] What will string handling in C++ look like in the future [was Always treat ... ]
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-19 11:29:12

> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:44:29 +0100, Matus Chochlik wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:13:04 +0100, Matus Chochlik wrote:
> >
> > Even if I bought the UTF-8ed-Boost idea, what would we do about the STL
> > implementation on Windows which expects local-codepage narrow strings?  Are
> > we hoping MS etc. change these to match?  Because otherwise we'll be
> > converting between narrow encodings for the rest of eternity.
>
> Actually this is the biggest problem I see with the whole transition
> and it also concerns other systems. But AFAIK POSIX OSes
> are moving to utf-8 so Windows the only one where this
> is a real issue.

'Only'? :P While it may be one OS, it probably has more code written for
it than all the rest combined.

> But is it possible that Windows does the same thing that
> POSIX did ? Some time ago on unix sk_SK locale came
> with the ISO-8859-2 encoding. Since the the default became
> sk_SK.UTF-8 with UTF-8 encoding. Is there any major
> obstracle that would prevent Microsoft from doing this ?

I know some Microsoft guys hang out here and may be listening to this
(Stephan L, are you about?). Do you guys have any input on this UTF-8
issue?

Alex

--
Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)